Employee birthdate details is a private matter, and some employees may feel they want to choose what information they share with others.
This article runs through:
- How to configure the employee permissions to allow employees to choose how to share their birthdate details.
- How employees can select their date of birth visibility.
- How Sage HR changes depending on the what the employee has decided to share.
- What admins and managers will be able to see depending on an employee's chosen date of birth visibility.
Configure employee permissions
📎NOTE: This can only be done by a user with Administrator access.
- Click on your name on the top right, then click Settings.
- On the settings menu, click PERMISSIONS, then click Employees
- Scroll to the bottom, select Date of birth visibility, then click SAVE.
When this is enabled, employees can choose what birthdate details they want to share with others.
How an Employee can choose what birthdate details they want to share
- Click on your profile (or an another employee's profile if you are an administrator).
- On the profile menu click PERSONAL.
4. Under Date of birth visibility, click on the dropdown arrow and select from the options what birthdate details you or the employee wants to share:
- Visible to colleagues - fine with sharing day, month and year of birth with others.
- Hide year from colleagues - fine with sharing day and month of year, but do not want to share their year of their birth i.e age.
- Hide from colleagues - do not want to share any details.
How Sage HR changes depending on employee preference
If an employee selects the option Hide from colleagues the following change occurs:
- The birthday does not appear in the Calendar
- The recipes that trigger a birthday email notification includes a reminder of the employee's choice.
- The employee's birthday does not appear in the Anniversaries dashboard widget to other employees including Managers and Admins. The other employees who chose to share do appear though.
- The birthday does not appear either to Admins in the Birthdays & Anniversaries (3) report, accessible via Reports (1) then TIME OFF (2).
When an employee has selected the option Visible to colleagues or Hide year from colleagues:
- The birthday is visible in both Calendar, Dashboard widget and Birthdays & Anniversaries report.
- The recipes that trigger a birthday email notification include a reminder of the employee's choice.
What birthdate details admins and managers will be able to see
Administrators and managers who have permission to see employee personal information are able to see full birthdate information, but they are informed of the employee's preferences:
- Visible to colleagues:
- Hide year from colleagues:
- Hide from colleagues: